Sunday, September 19, 2010

concept development: dowel

material: dowel offcuts


I choose to use dowel in my stool design because I love the look of different diameters of dowel grouped together to make interesting patterns. I really wanted to work with timber too and the grain on the end of a piece of dowel can be quite an interesting feature.

I found dowel offcuts at reverse art truck, they came from various sources including 'kookaburra' (cricket stumps), construction and building industry and also roman blind manufacturers. These dowels vary from 10mm in diameter to 50mm in diameter. 



My main inspiration for my dowel concept was this Edwood Moore offcut stool. I love the patterns created on the seat by grouping the timber offcuts together. I also lovc the fact they are completely sustainable as they are using reclaimed timber offcuts. 


Concept 1

Concept 2


Concept 3

More concept sketches...


Concept 4


Concept 5


Concept 6








No comments:

Post a Comment